Thursday, August 15, 2013

Five Years

Yep, I am still around.  I am more than 36 weeks pregnant and have been too busy either nesting or in a pure state of exhaustion to follow through with blogging. But it is my anniversary today and I want to write about that because it inspires me.  Five years of marriage to my Eric.  Our life is far from perfect but we do know that we are incredibly blessed.

Photo credit- Bobby Earle Photography

On Facebook this past week, I had several friends post an article entitled God Loves Odd Couples.  The article discusses how God delights in making marriages thrive that do not seem to make sense to an outside world.  The one line "He loves couples where the husband loves hunting and the wife is a vegetarian" hit home because that was us.  I remember when Eric first started calling me and we were getting to know one another, thinking "I do not have anything in common with this guy that loves hunting, fishing, MMA and lives in rural Nevada."  He was not my type and I was not really his.  Yet God has blessed our union and we continue to grow more alike as the time passes on.  My husband thrives on vegetarian food and feels great eating that way while I now eat meat a couple times a week because I need it metabolically. People cautioned Eric that I was independent and career minded and five years later I am a stay at home mom. I do not think I could be too much more dependent and vulnerable than that.  I like that God has a sense of humor, that He sees things through His infinite wisdom far better than you or I could ever imagine.  I like knowing He made my love story to sanctify me and make me more like Him. 

Photo credit-Bobby Earle Phtography

Five years is still not very much time but it feels like we are out the baby stage of marriage.  We have been through career changes, injury and sickness, losing loved ones, buying a home, new parenthood (times two) and looking forward to the arrival of our new little one.  We continue to change and grow but it is always closer together rather than farther apart. Our pastor introduced me to a quote by Deitrich Bonhoeffer a few years back: "It is not your love that sustains the marriage, but from now on, the marriage that sustains your love."  How perfect, right?  I made a covenant with my best friend five years ago today and through that promise to one another and our Lord, we continue to grow in love.  God is good and He is faithful.
He loves couples where the husband loves hunting and the wife is a vegetarian. - See more at: http://www.theblazingcenter.com/2013/08/god-loves-odd-couples.html#sthash.M0G8PRJJ.dpuf
He loves couples where the husband loves hunting and the wife is a vegetarian. - See more at: http://www.theblazingcenter.com/2013/08/god-loves-odd-couples.html#sthash.M0G8PRJJ.dpuf
He loves couples where the husband loves hunting and the wife is a vegetarian. - See more at: http://www.theblazingcenter.com/2013/08/god-loves-odd-couples.html#sthash.M0G8PRJJ.dpuf

1 comment:

Shelly Cunningham said...

Congratulations! I love how you have both been changed and shaped by marriage and the Lord. What a wonderful journey for you both! I can't wait to see your newest addition to the family you've created. Happy nesting!!!