Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Learning Patience

This past weekend I had plans.  Eric was gone at Riverside Youth Conference and my mom was in town helping me. I had taken a furlough and was looking forward to a three day weekend.  I was going to finally tackle the daunting task of finishing the boys' birth announcements and all the thank-you cards that needed writing.  I was going to organize closets. I was going to get the blog updated. I was going to get the boys transitioned to their cribs.  And I finished none of those tasks because I got sick.  And my mom got a migraine. So there was no real productivity because I was in the fetal position for the good portion of one day with flu like symptoms.  I should have seen the writing on the wall.  I had been feeling more run down than usual heading into the week as opposed to, you know, the standard run down feeling that a new MoM of twins feels. I was going to...

I can make plans but ultimately I am not in charge.  I am learning patience.  Everyone wants to think they are patient and then they gain an experience that really does help them grow in patience.  I was going to do lots of things with my time but ultimately it was God who directed my steps.  It involved letting go of the things that seem important but really are not.  Instead I had to rely on God's grace to take care of the boys by myself.  The boys were great which I was so thankful for.  I ended up having such a great weekend because I got to focus on every coo and smile, study their little blue eyes and pepper them with kisses. And that is what is actually important.

'In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.' Proverbs 16:9

No comments: