The biggest change this last month is that we have mastered tandem breast feeding. The boys have outgrown the newborn phase and are less floppy. With greater muscle coordination, they position so much easier and it finally just clicked. The ability to tandem feed has really transformed our whole routine. Whereas Eric and I took turns getting up with one of the babies when they woke up to do a feeding, we now are back into synchronizing their feeds because it takes so much less time. I can get them positioned on their big nursing pillow and basically can zone out until they unlatch themselves and they go back to sleep without too much fuss. I have to say thank you to the MoMs out there that encouraged me when I was so tired and felt like we were never going to get the hang of breastfeeding. I think the best advice I was given was to not feel like I had to master breastfeeding, that pumped bottles would work just fine and just keep latching each baby on at least once a day. I was also told to just nurse them individually and not worry about the tandem feeding. We hung in there and I am so glad we did because it eventually all came together. One big positive is that the boys really started to bond with me. They have a clear preference to nursing (as opposed to expressed milk in bottles) and I really enjoy the quality time with them.
The boys go down at night at 9 pm and sometimes earlier if everything is falling into place i.e. bath time, feedings, etc. Bed time finally just clicked as well and they often will go down without so much as a peep. If they do cry it is very brief, one minute or less. If one of them continues crying we do a diaper change and that typically solves the problem. The boys have almost outgrown their 0-3 month clothes in terms of the length. They are very comfortable in all of their 3 month clothing now. They love to play on the floor and kick and squirm. The biggest change we have also seen is that they are beginning to notice one another. It is not so much real interaction as it is noticing how the other baby impacts their personal space. You can see the little wheels turning in their head saying, "Whose hand is this? Who is kicking me? I hear crying so I am going to cry." They tend to interlock hands now while they tandem nurse. Sweetest.thing.ever. The boys also love to sit on laps. They do not like their Bumbos but will sit happily on a lap with their backs leaning against a torso. They are both little flirts and will give a smile pretty easily to any lady that talks to them. They both like to blow bubbles and are starting to drool quite a bit. Their hair is really starting to thin out and I think it's in transition for a color change (blond like their mama?).
Both boys are honestly really good. It's just having two babies that makes it hard. They love being around people and being stimulated so it's when they are home with boring 'ole mom and pops that they can get fussy. And boy do they get fussy sometimes. They now turn their mouth into an upside down 'U' and make a whiny cry in unison. You just gotta laugh at it.
For some of their individual stuff:
Abraham is quite the little talker. He gets a squeal in there quite often too. Overall he is just very expressive. I call him my "fickle pickle." He goes from smile, to pout and whine and back to smile all within a minute. He loves to make a fist with his right hand and just stares at his fist and arm while extended. He also likes to pull on his clothes. Abraham is a good sleeper. He can consistently sleep about 6 hours before he needs to eat. I think he would sleep longer but Winston can be a little loud when he wakes up during the night. Abraham is an equal opportunity eater and will pound any bottle that comes his way.
Winston likes to lay with his right hand on his head. I call this his supermodel pose. He has started to notice his reflection in the bathroom mirror when I give him a bath as well as the rounded mirror above his swing. He makes faces and smiles at his reflection. It's absolutely adorable; I just hope I don't have a narcissist on my hands. He likes to stick his tongue out still. He also is making up for being Abraham's punching bag by exerting some aggression of his own. The kid loves the changing table (or maybe more the window with the blinds next to the table). Weird, I know but it's like baby catnip for him. He just lays there with a little grin and kicks and flails his appendages. Winston is my little gourmand and wants his milk fresh off the tap. He is a lot more picky than his brother that way.
And behold the cuteness:
Happy boys ready for bed. They are still in their co-sleepers in our room.
Happy Abraham ready for bed.
Happy Winston ready for bed.
Getting so big. Abraham (left) and Winston.
Not too impressed with tummy time. Abraham (left) and Winston.
Padded baby butts.
Winston (left) and Abraham. I looove their expressions here.
Abraham smiling at his brother.
1 comment:
I've just discovered your blog thanks to your birth announcements and I'm enjoying it. This was fun to read and your boys are just too cute! I have to say kudos on sticking with the breastfeeding!!!!! I am a BIG believer in the multiple benefits including bonding time like you mentioned. I wish we lived closer because it sounds like we have similar parenting styles. I think I'm officially hooked as a reader :)
Post a Comment