Thursday, April 5, 2012

Unpleasant But Glorious Truths

Several weeks ago I was getting the boys ready to be put down for their afternoon nap. Until recently we had a book shelf in their nursery and Abraham managed to pull down a picture Bible that the boys had received for Christmas.  I started reading a couple stories to them and was admiring the colorful and beautiful illustrations.  After reading the creation account and about Noah's Ark, I quickly skimmed the contents of the rest of the book.  I reached the story entitled "Jesus is Crucified."  I hate to admit it but my initial gut reaction was, "Well, that is pretty unpleasant for a children's book."  I caught myself immediately and pondered how truly unpleasant the gospel is to our worldly sensibilities. We live in a culture that seeks to sanitize the gospel, to season it and make it more palatable...and well, more pleasant.  The gospel however is about the tortuous death of God in the flesh, Christ Jesus, for the sins of those He came to save.  The gospel calls out that we are sinners deserving of condemnation. It puts a spotlight on our sin nature and because of our pride, we chafe at this label. The gospel is ultimately glorious because it has power.  It shows that Christ's death was not in vain. It shows that God in His sovereignty provided the perfect mediator between His righteous self and sinful humanity; the power to not only remove our sin but to impute Christ's righteousness unto us so that we can truly be called the friends of God.  

I will admit that at times (okay, more often than not) that I shy away from the gospel message.  "I cannot tell that person that they are a sinner in need of a Savior.  They will feel judged and who do I think I am to do so?"  Well, I am a fellow sinner that is also married to a sinner and raising little sinners.  I know the power of the gospel in my own life.  Why then do I hide these glorious truths?  I hide because Satan whispers in my ear that I will look foolish, that people will not like me as much if I become a Bible thumper and it is much more comfortable to try to fit in. The reality is that the gospel is foolishness to those whose hearts are closed to it. 

I wrote earlier this week about how we had taken part in a child dedication service with Abraham and Winston.  With Good Friday being upon us, I am thinking even more about the responsibility that Eric and I have to share the gospel with our sons.  We cannot only share it with our words but they need to see it in our lives. It was quite apropos that before Eric left on his current work trip that we got to read about Jesus not only being crucified but about His miraculous resurrection, the resurrection that represents the glory of the gospel. We got to read the Easter story as a family during the Holy Week.  I do not want to just share Bible stories with our sons in a way that lets them think of them as fables, little stories that have a nice moral at the end. I do not want to just share pretty pictures but rather I want them to know the power of the gospel.

Last year we went to the Good Friday service with our two newborns in tow. I was beyond exhausted, the kind of tired where you just feel ill and regret venturing out. I remember having a break down later that night when the first little guy woke up for a feeding. I just needed sleep and I was feeling angry and resentful towards my little son. I remember Christ using that squalling baby to strip me of my self-reliance yet once again.  I needed Jesus. God used my sons to give me a greater picture of what He had accomplished on the cross.  Christ truly sacrificed himself and therefore fulfilled his Father's will. I am only beginning to understand sanctification and self-sacrifice. The gospel is more than pleasant; it is beautiful because Jesus is my Lord.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, 
but to us
 who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18

No comments: