Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Extended Breastfeeding and Weaning Twin Toddlers

Well, I think we have reached another milestone.  My baby boys are weaned.  Okay, they are definitely not babies anymore but rather jib-jabby, getting-into-everything toddlers.  Nonetheless there is so much finality to being done breastfeeding this duo.  It definitely pulls at this mama's heartstrings.

We have been ever so gradually heading this direction for the last few months.  I have previously written about how learning to breastfeed twin newborns was very difficult.  We were blessed to finally establish a great breastfeeding relationship and once I stopped working and started staying at home with the boys full time, they quickly fell into a pattern of nursing four times a day--after awakening in the morning, after their morning nap, after their afternoon nap and before bed.  At thirteen months there were absolutely no signs of the boys losing interest in breastfeeding despite what so many people said would happen.  I dropped the after morning nap session and the transition was pretty smooth.  Winston is such a creature of routine that he got frustrated but after the second day was totally fine.  At fifteen months I dropped the after the afternoon nap nursing session and again it was a smooth transition.  At sixteen months I dropped the before bed session and was pleased that the boys had no trouble with going down to bed without it. They seriously did not care.  So that left us with only the first thing in the morning session.

I have not discussed it on the blog but I have not been feeling well the last several months. I have had quite a few blood tests and  might have been fighting a recent Epstein-Barr virus (mononucleosis) infection.  I was also diagnosed with chronic tonsillitis. I have not had a great immune system for most of my life.  I already knew that I had adrenal deficiency and a weaker immune system may just be part of my disposition. When the boys were about nine months old I finally hit the wall again and was just in survival mode for the next six months.  Which aren't all new parents of twins already in survival mode? I have been on antibiotics three times in the last eight months which was really abnormal.  My primary care doc is very pro-breast feeding but was concerned that it was draining my body and also trying to figure out a treatment plan that would not affect the boys through my milk supply.  It came down to feeling that that boys would benefit more from a healthy and active mama as opposed to a lethargic, grumpy one that was still managing to breastfeed them.

Yet I was not feeling ready.  I tried last month to go cold turkey and I made it a week.  I did not feel at peace with it and Winston was acting out.  I talked the talk like I was committed to weaning them but my heart was not there. I would go into the boys' room in the mornings with their sippy cups but Winston very clearly wanted something else.  Then I just realized that I am their mama and I had to do what worked for them and me...no outside input needed.  I decided to still bring in the sippy cups and let them drink from that before I offered to nurse them.  Winston was automatically interested again and Abraham was interested because his brother was.  Then in a matter of a couple weeks the boys started communicating so much better. Please, thank you, thirsty, drink, cup, etc. became normal everyday words.  I was physically feeling better and therefore I believe emotionally more ready for them to be done nursing.  I stuck to the "don't offer, don't refuse" principle.  Winston was starting to go several days without asking and then would ask again. The big difference this time was that Abraham did not care anymore that his brother was nursing.  I think he is on day twelve of not having nursed so I think he is completely done.  I think Winston's issue is more of emotional security. He needs lot of lap time and snuggling in the morning.  He is just a slow to wake type person and I am learning that if he can just sit with me for a while he drinks from his cup then he is a content little guy.  I believe Winston is on day five or six so I think he is done. He has even seen the "Magical Pillow that Feeds" and has not asked to nurse.   To be honest, it was getting a little difficult to try to still tandem nurse them. They are just getting so big!

One of my favorite cell phone pics-- Winston (left) and Abraham when they were eight months old.  When they were really tired before bed, they would crash right there on their nursing pillow. 

We are done with another aspect of babyhood.  I am so thankful that we made it past a year and were able to do some extended breastfeeding.  It was good for my boys' immune system and it had the added benefit of decreasing my chance of breast cancer. And seriously, seventeen months?  That is a pretty awesome breastfeeding career for twins.  I feel really accomplished in that.

To any expecting mama of twins, yes, you can breastfeed.  It may not be easy but I can tell you it is definitely worth it.

2 comments:

Julia said...

Way to go, Mama! We made it 18 months here. I took much the same approach---waiting until they were ready, so it was peaceful for all of us. It's so nice that way, isn't it? You're right---you know what's best for your babies :)

Jenni said...

I just read your guest post over at 3 little men and a mommy and followed you here. So glad to read this. I have 9 month old identical girls and today am so ready to be done...not emotionally, but it feels more like wrestling alligators than the sweet and wonderful snuggle time that I had with my singletons! Good to hear of more momma's that made it and loved it. I had to wean my son at 9 months and it was so painful and hard that I'm hoping and praying that it can be anything but that with my twins! Love your blog. I married my best friend in August, too! :)