Sunday, November 25, 2012

FAQ's #5

Do you always dress your boys the same? or Do you always dress them differently?

If I am in the store and I have the boys in matching outfits then I am asked if I ever dress them differently.  If I have them in coordinated outfits or completely different colors, then I am asked if I ever let them match.  Obviously it totally depends on the day and what people perceive the situation to be.  I think dressing the boys in matching outfits at this stage is harmless.  It looks cute and makes grouping laundry and planning outfits for the day a lot easier for me.  Also, I do not buy the boys clothes unless it is a really special occasion e.g. dress outfits for a wedding.  The boys wear clothes that have been gifted.  People love buying twins matching clothes and I am okay with that.  The boys also have a lot of hand me downs, much of which is from a family at our church that has twin boys.  The hand me downs tend to coordinate easily and I can put the boys in similar outfits but different colors and patterns. Once Abraham and Winston start displaying a preference for a certain color or style then I will absolutely affirm that and start dressing them accordingly.  If they tell me that they want to match some times then I will also support that.  I do not see a hard line or cut off to discontinue the matching outfits.  I am kind of laid back as a twin mama when it comes to the clothes thing because we try to really treat our boys as individuals. I think because they are monozygotic (identical) twins I am very cognizant of trying to treat them as individuals.   I am not too worried that they will hate me someday for putting them in matching outfits.  If anything when I put them in matching or coordinated outfits, it reaffirms in my mind that they are equals and that there is no favorite.

Matching except for socks and shoes.
Similar shirts and shorts but in different colors.
Both in polo shirts but different colors.

No comments: