Friday, April 15, 2011

5 Weeks and Growing

Well, the three week update for the boys was finally posted when they were four weeks old.  Hopefully I can keep on top of this because blogging will be acting as a big part of how I record these early moments of parenthood.

The boys are definitely gaining weight!  It was fun to get the big reveal at the doctor's office for their four week check up.  Both boys have gained back to their birth weight and then some.  Abraham, our scrappy little baby A, was 7 lbs. 1 oz. (birth weight 5 lbs. 15 oz.) and Winston, our hulky baby B, was 7 lbs. 10 ozs. (birth weight 7 lbs. 9 oz).  Winston feels way heavier than Abraham but the doc's office says they are only 9 ozs. apart.  I really wish they had a digital scale.  Perhaps I will have to use our scale at home and hold the little guy while I weigh myself and then subtract my weight.  Anyone have an experience where the doc's office got the recorded weight wrong?

The boys are lifting their heads and tracking our movements and sounds with their eyes.  I think we have even gotten some legitimate smiles.  I feel like the early ones are just reflex or from gas.  When they smile after hearing our voices, it absolutely melts my heart.  Abraham right now is the more consistent smiler.

We had family come into town to visit.  My dad, stepmom and grandma came up for a couple of days.  If you remember, I mentioned that my parents left after my induction failed the first time.  Less than three days after getting home to southern California, they turned right back around so they could be here for the boys' birth.  That meant so much to me and only recently did it finally occur to me how much driving they had done in such a short window.  It is a 16 hour round trip!   Less than a month after being here for the birth, they were back to smooch on the babies and brought my grandma Ida up with them.

As for breastfeeding, there has been improvement!  I am currently completing about 3 feeds a day only on the breast and am even managing some tandem feeds.  The boys are really getting more and more into a routine and becoming more synchronized with those routines.  They will wake up within minutes of each other for a feeding time and if I am am alone at the house, tandem feeding is my life line.  My little guys are not fast eaters so it can be difficult to feed them separately.  It is immensely easier however to feed one at a time.  Each day we seem to be making some improvement and it really does get better.  Thanks for those that encouraged me.  I know that MoMs know what it is like to reach the point of sleep deprivation where tears start flowing.  Things are gradually getting easier.

We take a lot of photos so if I add too many to my posts, I do apologize.  I am adding only a few in comparison to all that we have! Here are my sweet boys:


 Abraham gives great grandma Ida a little smile
 Proud grandma and grandpa with Winston
Cooperative effort on the diaper change
 My little boys make my heart melt. Praying their eyes stay blue.
 Winston (left) has that surprised look quite often
 An attempt at a family photo, can you relate?
My heart and hands are full

3 comments:

Krystle said...

Such great pictures! I've never had an incorrect weight from at DR before but I do know from experience that weighing yourself and then while holding a baby is incredibly inaccurate! Like pounds off actually. Seems like it should work but it doesn't. My doctor friend tried it as well :/
Good job on the breastfeeding! It does get easier :)
Are your boys identical??

The Lane Family said...

The pictures were great!! I too used blogging for recording so much information especially for the first year because the girls changed and grew so fast and I was exhausted and was doing the best I could to record all the milestones and highlights while chasing a 2 year old as well :)

I also agree that weighing yourself and the baby is not accurate at all. The weights at the doctor were always right on.

The family picture made me smile because that too looks oh so familiar and the older they get and the more active they become the wilder the photos :)

Thanks for sharing the boys are so handsome and cute!!

The Guddats said...

Well, I trust you ladies on the weight thing. Winston's 9 ozs. are definitely noticeable then =-)

Krystle, yes, we believe our boys are identical. At my 12 week ultrasound they were very sure there was only one placenta and my OB confirmed that after their delivery. They did not look like identical per se when they were born but they are looking more so with each passing day now!