Thursday, April 7, 2011

Survival Mode with A&W at 3 Weeks

First off, this post is 5-6 "sit and type" sessions in the making.  At one point, I had a baby in the crook of my arm and was trying to get this done.  How do the prolific mommy bloggers get so many posts done a week?

The boys have hit the three week mark and are going to be a month old this week! They are visibly putting on weight.  I feel relieved to see that the hard efforts of getting nutrition into these kids is paying off.  Abraham is getting chubby cheeks and a little double chin. One, it is sooooo cute and second, it makes him look a lot more like Winston.

We. Are. Tired.  The boys are on a predictable 2.5 to 3 hour routine of feeding.  The problem lies in their eating method.  I am relying heavily on pumping and have not conquered tandem feeding which means double the work.  Middle of the night feedings require both Eric and me to bottle feed and then I have to pump for the next feeding session.  Honestly, I feel really discouraged.  I have a whole new understanding of why so many women toss in the towel when it comes to this breastfeeding thing.  I am not giving up but rather I am looking for hope that it will get better.  Here's the weird thing, I don't mind pumping like some women I know.  In fact, I have heard the word hate used when describing the activity. I get frustrated when the boys latch on and seem to be eating great only to be displaying hunger signals an hour later. With pumping, I can actually quantify how much they are eating and I enjoy that aspect (yes, there are some control issues in there). I don't want to be tied to the pump however and want the freedom breastfeeding provides.  As long as I am there with the boys, they would have their food source.  Abraham latches on great (even right at birth) and I feel confident that he is eating a decent amount.  I also say that based off of pumping after he has breastfed and being able to tell that he has taken in several ounces.  Winston however is a different story.  He is a really lazy eater even when he bottle feeds.  I wonder how much of Winston's issues are tied into his respiratory distress shortly after birth and the need for the prophylactic antibiotics.  I think his gassiness and pain could be attributed to the antibiotics killing all the good bacteria in his gut.  It was a vicious cycle--he was lethargic because he wasn't eating and not eating because he was lethargic.  Now that he is gaining weight and so much more alert it encourages me to try harder to get him to actually eat at the breast.

Overall though, the boys are a complete joy. They are showing their little individual personalities more and more each day.  I love the newborn coos and sighs.  Eric and I are trying to cherish this short window in their lives when they are just soooo small.  I know someday I will look back and miss that I could hold both of them in my arms.  Life is about the attitude we bring to the table.  It can be hard when the exhaustion sets in however to keep that positive attitude.  One day at a time, right?

By the way, we love our DSLR and are so happy we made the investment before the boys were born.  We have gotten fantastic pictures and have been taking a lot.  Here is some to share:

 Abraham- both boys love their baths until they have to get out!
 All the Guddat men- Grandpa, Papa, Abraham, Winston and Uncle Adam
 Winston snuggling with Papa
 Abraham in his swing
 Winston in front, Abraham in back- aren't they starting to look identical?
 Winston in mama and papa's bed- such a little man
Abraham trying to eat Winston's head

6 comments:

Krystle said...

I was JUST wondering when we'd get an update from you :)
Your situation sounds very similar to mine in regards to breastfeeding. I felt tandem was the only way to stay sane and make it work. In the end it was more stressful than not! I had one great latcher, and one poor latcher. After several
weeks of trying and crying...I decided to solo feed one right after the other. Whew! A huge weight was lifted off my shoulder as the 'poor' latter began eating so much better! I found it easier to handle one at a time and my relaxation was felt by each baby. I have decided to try tandem again when they are older and have more body control and can do more of it themselves. I didn't want to 'pump and feed' because at each growth spurt only the babies eating at my breast could tell it 'I need more today' and I'd produce more. A pump doesn't know that. That being said, I do pump for the middle of the night feed (we're down to one!!)
So anyway...thats my little story.
You have to do what feels right for all three of you. So play around with it. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. The fact is, you are giving them breastmilk and that's the most important thing!!!
It does get easier! Wow, did I say that?! People were just telling me the same thing a few short weeks ago!
Keep up the great work Mama! And yes...they do look identical and adorable!

Meg said...

they are so precious!! even though i know it is hard, what i would not do to re-live those precious days!! kudos for sticking with the bf'ing. i had a really relux-y one early on and i relied heavily on the pump for him, and he continued on to nurse excellently for over a yr. just be sure you continue to put them to the breast daily also if you do want to nurse them. also, be sure you are using slow flow bottle nipples, as that is the most like the breast. i PROMISE the bigger they get, the easier it gets!! before you know it they will nurse in 5 minutes flat and it will be totally second nature. also, be sure you pump a few minutes after the milk flow seems to have stopped (or is just dripping slowly). that signals to the body to make more, which would be important if they were having a growth spurt, like krystle said. you are doing GREAT!! newborn twins are HARD WORK!!

The Lane Family said...

The boys look great and I promise that someday you do get sleep with twins..and life gets more into a routine but it is all worth it.

I also pass on the advice I received when I had my twins..enjoy the moments and take tons of pictures because they grow very, very fast!!!

All the best!!

Melissa Ann said...

The babies look great! I also had a crazy breastfeeding story. But here's my biggest tip for the pumping days: buy or make a hands-free pumping bra. That thing saved my life (and my breastfeeding career). I could pump and feed babies by myself during the day, and hubby and I could pump/feed babies in 15-20 minutes at night! I can't count the hours of sleep saved from that one investment.
Hang in there you're halfway through the hardest 6 weeks :)

Melissa Ann said...

Oh and you can put powdered probiotics on your nipple or in pumped milk for gut issues :)

Unknown said...

I am right there with you on the bf issues. My twins are 3 weeks old now, and I am pumping to bottle feed and working on breastfeeding. There does seem to be progress every day, but it is frustrating when they seem hungry an hour after bfing and you aren't sure if they are satisfied. I love following your progress. You are a few weeks ahead of me. Good luck, and I wish you sleep!