Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Musings and Teething?

I was so excited to have a three day weekend and spend some quality time with the boys. On Saturday, Eric and I had our first date since the boys were born. We went out with Eric's brother Adam and his girlfriend Alisha. Little did Alisha know that Adam was proposing that night. Eric and I got to serve as photographers for the special occasion. The proposal involved scenic Lake Tahoe and falling snow--cold yet very romantic. I will have to do a full post about it later but I can say we are very exciting about Alisha being added to our family.

On Sunday we had church and were motivated that afternoon to clean the house because we had invited company over. Our friends Matt and Jolene and their kiddos came over. Their little girl Gracie was born the week before our boys were so we had fun trading stories and taking photos of the babies.

I was excited about having the extra day today with our boys and spending time together as a family. We did spend lots of time together but not in the way I was hoping. The boys have started teething. Crazy, right? Last weekend when I was nursing Winston it really hurt (he still has a crummy latch at times) so I checked his gums and saw a little white dot in the center of his bottom arch. It felt hard when I rubbed my finger across it. Now Abraham has the same dot. They have been drooling more in the last week and today it got really bad. To say they were fussy all day is an understatement. They cried on and off and we felt like there was nothing we could do. Teething rings are too big for their mouth still and they don't have the dexterity to hold then. They tried chewing their pacifiers but they fall out then unless they are held by Eric or me. I finally broke down and gave them some baby acetaminophen. We gave them a long bath and they finally konked out. Silence.

Listening to crying babies all day was brutal. Earlier today I needed a break and had to dosomething. I took a walk with the boys and enjoyed the sunshine. They slept for a little bit and the last mile was them crying again. It felt good to get some exercise at least. It was a hard day because I wanted to fix the problem and I couldn't. I felt sick knowing they were in pain. To go from tummy issues straight into teething has been brutal.

We missed our church's Memorial Day picnic so there was no formal activities for us but I am very grateful when I think about the service men that have paid the ultimate price for our freedom. I am thankful that we can raise our children according to our conscience; that they will know so many liberties.





The view of the mountains from our neighborhood.





A brief respite; Winston falls asleep.




Abraham learning that he can punch the toy and that it makes sound. You can see drool on his chin.




A brief calm moment. Abraham (left) and Winston.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: