Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Love

Eric is my one and only valentine.  My grandma Gertie, who has been married for sixty four years to my grandpa Dick, gave me some sage advice many years ago when I was waiting for God to show me the man I would marry.  She told me, "You have to be friends before you can become lovers."  Seems pretty obvious, right?  She was more right than I realized though because in our culture so many people want to rush right into having a romantic or sexual relationship before actually getting to know the other person.  We are a society that is in love with being in love without knowing what love really is.  Does that make sense?  You may "fall" in love but commitment is what makes the love stay.  Love is an action verb and not just an emotion. We are practicing love around here in an effort to make it perfect. 

My sweet valentine just got home a little while ago from a work trip.  He is worn out because he does not sleep too well in a place he has never been.  I don't mind not having an extra dose of romance for Valentine's Day because the reality is this man is so consistent.  He treats me like I am the greatest thing ever every single day.  I don't need roses or a teddy bear to help me feel loved by him.  I  love him and he loves me.  He truly is my best friend.

Hubby and me all ready for my special 30th birthday date.

1 comment: