Sunday, July 17, 2011

Motherhood is a Calling

Rachel Jankovic is the author of Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches.  The book was given to me as a gift shortly before the boys were born and after reading a post of hers on Desiring God, it motivates me all the more to get the book read.  To check it out, click here.

We live in a culture that has so much available to children in terms of entertainment, toys, clothing and educational resources.  Yet Ms. Jankovic is right when she discusses the general disdain for children within our society.  It's not outright disdain but can be rather subtle at times.  Children are those that take way freedom and fun.  They strip away opportunity.  Children lower quality of life.  For a Christian however children are considered an immense blessing.  For a Christian mother then, her children become one of her utmost priorities.  She delights in her children as her Heavenly Father delights in His children. 

I am in a season of life where I do not have a lot of leisurely time and unable to do activities that I enjoy.  It feels almost impossible to get my house even decently clean or to get a work out in.  My children need me.  I am not going to ignore them in order to fulfill "me" time.  My babies are my joy and the apple of my eye.  The boys have been regressing in their sleep patterns lately and it has been really hard.  When we get up in the morning however and they flash me a smile, it makes the weariness dissipate.  I have learned so much more what it is like to be patient and sanctified; I have learned so much more about my Father's love for me.  I am learning to cherish this season in my life and enjoying it more with each passing day.  Sometimes I get overwhelmed at how I can adequately nurture and love these babies, maintain and keep a household and continue to work full time but God's grace has brought me this far and I know He will continue to sustain me.  He has given me these children as an immense gift and I want to fulfill my calling.

3 comments:

Krystle said...

Wonderfully put! I will have to check this book out!

Plain Ol' Vanilla said...

As an older woman and mom who has been in the trenches, I have been giving that very book out to many, many young mommies I know. I would have loved that Godly encouragement 20 + years ago. It's always a blessing to know 'you're not alone' in this precious sacred calling of mommy-hood.

Joyce

Sweet Home Livin' said...

My mom give this book to me for my 1st Mother's Day and though I haven't read all of it yet the parts that I have read have been very encouraging!