I am currently laying on my soft, fluffy bed while DH and my in-laws are packing up the house. Our goal is to have everything out by the weekend. Heavy snow slowed down progress this past weekend. I was attempting to do some "light" packing by bagging up clothes and going through things to either toss in the trash or give to Goodwill. Then my lower back started hurting and sure enough I began contracting. I am making myself take it easy and as soon as Eric realized that I had done too much, he also reinforced my need to take it easy. I see dust bunnies and things that need to be cleaned and I have to tell myself no. It's not about me and my wants. It is about taking care of my little boys and doing everything in my power to ensure they come into this world well-developed and healthy. These boys could care less if they have a room ready for them (or house in our case). So I am focusing on the big picture--keeping these boys incubating for as long as I can.
I have been having trouble sleeping lately due to back pain. That's not too much of a surprise considering I have what feels like a 12 lb. bowling ball strapped to my front side. It occurred to me this morning how the fact that I have back pain due to the advanced stage of this twin pregnancy is nothing short of a blessing. I realize that at 35 weeks pregnant with these two boys, there are so many MoMs out there who would have gladly traded out NICU time for the inconveniences of an advanced multiple pregnancy. Or worse, dear mamas who lost their babies entirely and would do anything to carry a healthy baby to term. It puts things into perspective for me.
So in that stream of thought, we are doing really well. The NSTs for the boys have been taking a while each time (two hours or more) because they are very active and like to move away from the monitors. I was checked this last Fri. and I still have not dilated (!). Contractions have been more regular however and it has been a big motivation for me to rest more. I have some swelling in my hands which is painful but my legs and ankles seem to be holding out. My BP has been low and there are no signs of pre-eclampsia. I cannot take any credit when the nurses or doctors compliment me on how well I am taking care of myself or say that I appear to be sailing right through this thing. I give into the convenience foods and cravings just like any other pregnant mom. The reality is I have been incredibly blessed and know (and feel) God's hand on me. It is the God who allowed me to conceive these babies that is allowing me to have a healthy pregnancy. I would not and could not short change His glory and sovereignty in the situation. I would also like to add that I believe prayer makes a difference. It always buoys up my spirit when people tell me that they are praying for these baby boys.
Stay tuned for Guddat twins' arrival. They could decide to show up any day now!
2 comments:
We are praying for you, the boys and Erik too! Love you!
I found your blog a few weeks back through Multiples and More and I wanted to say hello. This post brings back memories! My back aches for you - Hang in there!!! :)
My girls were born healthy (TG) at 36 weeks 6 days and I know how blessed we were (and still are). Still, there were moments in those last two weeks that I was not in good shape emotionally. It takes it's toll, being pregnant with multiples, and you're perspective is inspiring!
Post a Comment