Saturday, November 2, 2013

FAQ #6

So where does the name Matthias come from?  What made you decide on that?

For those that have been keeping up on the blog this past year, although there have not been that many posts, you know that the early part of my pregnancy with Matthias was really difficult.  As the pregnancy progressed, the anxiety never really left me and I had to really submit the outcome of everything to the Lord.  I just really had to focus on God's character and that He does all things well.  Eric and I had a hard time coming up with another boy name.  We were well into the third trimester and while we had slowly whittled down the potential name list, we had nothing settled upon.  Eric had major pull when it came to naming the twins so I told him that I needed to have the deciding factor this time.  One name I ran across in a search for classic, traditional or Biblical names was Matthias which means "Gift of God."  I knew Matthias was the apostle that replaced Judas but I had not known the meaning.  I thought it was perfect and a happy compromise to another of my favorites, Tobias, which means "God is good." I liked that Matthias was not common but still had familiarity as a Biblical name.  I thought he could also call himself Matt down the road if he so chose. We had the name Theodore on our short list as well which was the name of  Eric's maternal grandfather.  I was afraid that if we named our son Theodore that people would think we were major narcissists that projected world leaders' names onto our children.  We then would have the names of two American presidents and a prime minister in our family.  So Theodore became a middle name and in God's perfect sovereignty it also means "God's good gift."  Our Matthias is truly a good gift given to us by our Lord.  His birth has been an incredible spiritual blessing for me as I have reflected on God's kindness and faithfulness to our family.

Baby Model

No comments: