So would you think by the title of this post that I am going to talk about my newborn? Maybe, but you would guess wrong. I expect newborns to take a while to get the sleep thing down and Matthias is actually making great progress there. I am instead concerned about my toddlers.
So here is the deal. For the last ten months they have been waking up through out the night. Yes, you read that right, TEN months. It is a seeming combination of night terrors and just wanting us to tuck them back in, find their sippy cup, etc. for a sense of security. It has had peaks due to the two-year molars poking through but it has never completely stopped. Generally they both wake up but sometimes they seem to almost alternate nights. There will be occasional nights where they both sleep through the night with no wake ups but it is very rare. With the night terrors we know the scream that tells us it is fear. With them waking up for comfort issues I still feel compelled to get up. We have long ditched the baby monitor so these are pretty loud cries. Since Eric is gone frequently for work I am trying to deal with the older boys as well as the newborn all by myself. It is exhausting. I try to get to bed earlier but a frequent wake up time for them is around 11:30 p.m.-12:00 a.m. We have looked at what may be stimulating them too much before bed time but sugar, caffeine and scary things on TV are not factors at all. We have approached it as strict disciplinarians and with an attitude full of love and grace. We are just looking for advice and opinions. I have talked to Eric about this numerous times this past week while he has been on the road because it is currently the single most thing I am struggling with. And with the time change, they are still waking up about 5:00-5:30 am. While we have been in So Cal, they have been going into my parents' room and waking them up because they know they will be in trouble if they wake me up that early. I already have adrenal issues. I simply need sleep or I am going to hit the wall. When the older boys were babies, I used to dread night time because of the colic issues and sleep deprivation. Now I am back at that point and it is still because of the twins. I am so seriously thankful that Matthias has been such a sweet, easy going baby.
Who has survived this? How? Did it just take time or were you able to resolve it? Please e-mail me if you have input on this issue. And please pray for me. I really need that more than anything. Pray for patience, fortitude and that the boys will outgrow this stage.
1 comment:
I survived it. Now, I don't remember exactly how old your boys are, but by the time mine were three, they started sleeping through the night more steadily. They will still occasionally wake up, but using our red light/green light nightlight that turns green at a set time (for us, 6:30am) they usually will stay in bed.
Stay strong & know my thoughts are with you. Sleep deprivation is so, so, so tough!!!
Post a Comment