I feel like women are generally much better at multi-tasking than men. I think I have even seen articles that have mentioned that there is scientific research that supports this. Having three young children has made me realize how vital the art of multi-tasking is to basic survival in our household. I was recently at a church function and a friend was asking me about how Matthias was doing with nursing. I mentioned that he was a great nurser and that he loved to eat. She laughed and said "Have you had to hold him and try to nurse while you are feeding your older kids?" Oh yes, yes I have. Many, many women can relate to that. All the tiny humans become hungry at once and listening to the sound of multiple children crying or whining sends me over the edge so I just do my best to make everyone as happy as I can. Granted my toddlers are learning more about patience but there are certain things that just cannot wait. I was on the phone with my mother-in-law when Winston told me he had to go potty. We kept talking for a minute and she said "I will let you go since I know someone needs to use the potty." I told her I had already helped him by cradling the phone between my chin and shoulder. After I explained what I had done, it was pretty much a "Yeah, I know all about that" type of response. Again, totally relatable for many women. I did some plank exercises and trimmed the baby's fingernails while my older kids were bathing tonight. I also listened to a lecture on the European Union's control of
salmonella in poultry production for continuing education credit while eating dinner and then finished by writing six thank you cards. That last part is more due to my own procrastination than anything. I need to complete twenty-four hours of continuing education for my credential by the end of this year. I told myself I would start them before Matthias arrived but I enjoyed nesting at the time much better. I am trying to cram in an hour here and there as the needs of the children allow.
While it feels great to be busy and efficient, I know that there are times we need to be completely engaged on one person or thing. I need to stop and just snuggle with one of my toddlers while he excitedly tells me all about a toy he is playing with. I need to sit and just look at my husband while he tells me about his work day instead of continuing to do the dishes. A time and place for everything, right? And yes, I am giving myself a pep talk in my own blog again.
So here is to multi-tasking and the women that have perfected it over the years. I would love to hear about some fun and creative ways that some of my readers have found to get multiple things done at once. Let's hear it!
 |
Salad bowl, note cards and an environmental health lecture--an evening of glamour.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment